"It takes ages to finish a quilt you're not working on!"

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Doiley quilt blocks

I have made a good start on the doiley quilt.  I have cut 21 blocks 12" square, and pinned two or three doilies (depending on their size) to each block.  I am hand stitching them to the background, around the edge where the crochet meets the linen.  The blocks will be joined in rows, but I haven't yet decided whether to join them up as they are, or use a sashing in between.  My SIL and her hubby were visiting us yesterday, and were admiring the blocks I've done so far.  I mentioned the sashing, and we mulled over the choice of white or ecru, or coloured, and looking at the all the embroidered colours, we couldn't agree on what colour sashing would look best.  The tablecloth on the kitchen table at the time had a pale aqua border, and one of my blocks was sitting on top of it, showing a bit of  the aqua next to the block.  Ken pointed to it and said 'that looks nice' and he was right - it looked perfect!  But I've got a long way to go before I even think about sashing yet, so no firm decision has been made.
Here are four blocks.  They are on the dark carpet so it isn't a good photo, but it gives you an idea.
The background fabric is a pale cream with a simple floral pattern in a denser shade.  It looks quite contrasty here, but isn't so bad when you see the actual fabric. 

3 comments:

Jane said...

that's going to be a lovely quilt, look forward to seeing it progress

DbrhH. said...

It is a great start and will look lovely no matter what colour you chose.

Wendy said...

I think your blocks are beautiful! I want to make a quilt like this one day. I am collecting doilies and hankies at the moment to use in my one day quilt.:) Looking forward to seeing yours come together.